Donate Today Call Us

Latest news

Children’s Hospital teams save Jack’s life

On the morning of 17 May 2014, 14 year old Jack Brown’s life was turned upside down when what he thought was a migraine turned out to be a bleed on his brain.

A resident of Jersey, Jack had gone swimming at the local leisure centre with a group of friends but got out of the pool as he felt like he had a migraine coming on and was experiencing his usual blurred vision and sickness. He telephoned his granddad to collect him but then was taken very ill and an ambulance was called.

“I remember the ambulance and Granddad turning up but then nothing for a few weeks after that.”

Jack’s mum, Sandra, was called and met them at Jersey General Hospital where the doctors treated him with anti-sickness injections and allowed him to sleep off the ‘migraine’. When Jack woke up he was not himself and Sandra persuaded the team that this was something more serious than a migraine. A CT scan that afternoon confirmed a bleed was found on Jack’s brain. That evening a plane was chartered from Jersey to Southampton and by 11.30pm Jack arrived at Southampton Children’s Hospital.

“It felt like a scene from Casualty”, Sandra tells us.

“Consultant, Mr. Sparrow, and his team were waiting for us to arrive in the ambulance and as soon as we did, Jack was rushed off to theatre.”  

A number of hours later Jack came out of surgery and was transferred to the paediatric intensive care unit (PICU). He stayed on PICU for two weeks until he regained consciousness and was able to breathe on his own. It was during this surgery that Mr. Sparrow and his team found that Jack had an arteriovenous malformation in his brain. Jack underwent two further operations in July and November to remove this. 

After that, Jack moved on to the neurology ward where he slept a lot for the first few weeks.  He was unable to eat, walk or communicate and became very agitated and upset at his condition. Jack’s determined approach to life meant that he threw himself into his rehabilitation schedule. This included physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech and language therapy. He worked very hard at this and in the three months that he was on the neurology ward the teams became family to Jack and Sandra. 

Mr Sparrow said: “Jack was very ill indeed and his recovery is in large measure down to his hard work during inpatient rehabilitation on the wards and in Bursledon House (part of Southampton General Hospital). He is a very determined young man.”

It was with sadness but also elation that in August Jack moved onto the next stage of his recovery and moved to the paediatric medical unit and left his neuro family behind. This was when the hard work really started and Jack was able to start to walk again with the aid of a frame. In December Jack was able to move to Bursledon House to complete his rehabilitation.

Since being in Bursledon, through the tremendous support of Nick Falle and the team at Hautlieu School, the Southampton Children’s Hospital School and the Jersey education system, Jack has been able to restart his education remotely. He has since returned to school full time. 

On Friday 22 May 2015 Jack returned home for good, after 370 days in hospital. 

Jack’s dry wit, love of doing his hair and huge character has not gone unnoticed by staff or patients and he acquired the nickname Lord Jack whilst in Bursledon House, he has been missed. On his return home, Jack was looking forward to playing on his Playstation and being able to smell the fresh Jersey air. Apparently Southampton air just isn’t the same!


Jack's fundraising mission

To thank the Southampton Children’s Hospital staff, Jack has successfully raised £1,000 for Southampton Hospital Charity. The money is being split four ways between the different areas of the hospital that helped on Jack’s road to recovery: the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, G2 ward, the children’s physio team, and also children’s neurology.

Most of this money was raised through a Jersey long distance swimmer called Wendy Trehiou. She completed the first ever solo swim between St Malo in France and Jersey.

The 36 mile crossing took 24 hours 7 minutes, with far from perfect conditions due to a strong head wind, choppy sea conditions, and not to mention jellyfish stings!

« View all articles